Birth Certificate originating from Japan for baby born in Japan


How to certify a birth in Japan

Birth Certificate in Japan

Birth Certificate can be translated into 'Shussho-Shomeisho' in Japanese. 'Shussho' means 'Birth', and 'Shomeisho' means 'Certificate'.

In Japan, a document entitled "Birth Certificate/Shussho-Shomeisho" can not be issued by a public authority. But depending on a nationality of a person, a place of birth, and so on, a following document may be obtained and used as a document to certify his/her birth in Japan.

Certificate of Acceptance/"Juri-Shomeisho"

juri-shomei as birth certificate

Juri-Shomeisho, literally translated Certificate of Acceptance, is a formal document to attest a fact that "a birth notification was officially accepted by the head of local municipal government pursuant to Japanese laws".

Since Family Register is not created for non-Japanese national, this Certificate of Acceptance/"Juri-Shomeisho" is often used as Birth Certificate for a foreign national to certify his/her birth in Japan.

This certificate usually contains:
- name of person born
- date of birth
- place of birth
- names of father and mother
and so forth.

Certificate of Acceptance/"Juri-Shomeisho" can be obtained at a municipal office where the birth notification was submitted.

*** Important *** Only a person who submitted a birth notification (=a father or mother in most cases) can apply for and obtain this certificate.

Family Register/"Koseki"

Japanese "Family Register" is the official file kept at a municipal government office to record events such as Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death, and so forth of a Japanese national.

If a person who needs a birth certificate is a Japanese national, a document related to Koseki can be used to certify his/her birth.

** Important ** Koseki is created only for Japanese national. If a baby (or a person who need a birth certificate) is not Japanese national, Koseki related certificate can not be issued.

Certificate of Family Register

koseki as birth certificate

Certificate of Family Register is a formal document to attest the matters recorded in the family register. In Japanese, it is called Zembu-Jiko-Shomei or Kojin-Jiko-Shomei.

It was issued in the form of a certified copy to attest the matters recorded. But today many municipal offices adopted computer system to keep the Koseki file so it is issued in the form of certification.

Zembu-Jiko-Shomei is a certificate which attests particulars of all persons in the register, and Kojin-Jiko-Shomei is the one which attests particulars of some persons (or one person).

Zembu-Jiko-Shomei or Kojin-Jiko-Shomei can be obtained at a local municipal office where his/her domicile is registered.

Certified copy of Family Register

Koseki-Tohon or Koseki-Shohon is a traditional type of document which is issued in the form of a certified copy. Koseki-Tohon or Koseki-Shohon can be obtained at a local municipal office where his/her domicile is registered.

Certificate of Matters stated in the Notification/"Kisai-Jiko-Shomeisho"

kisai-shomei as birth certificate

Kisai-Jiko-Shomeisho or Certificate of Matters stated in the Notification is a formal document to attest matters stated in the birth notification accepted by the head of local municipal government.

It is usually issued in the form of a certified copy of the submitted notification at a municipal office where the birth notification was submitted or an office of the legal affairs bureau.

Kisai-Jiko-Shomeisho usually contains:
- name of person born
- date of birth
- place of birth
- names of father and mother
- date of birth of father and mother
- registered domicile or nationalities of father and mother
- duration of the pregnancy
- number of child(ren) born to this mother
- weight and height of the child at birth
- type of birth (single or multiple)
- attendant at birth
and so forth.


Note 1: Birth Certificate by Medical staff

Birth Certificate by a medical staff is required when you submit a birth notification to a local municipal government in Japan. "Birth Certificate by a medical staff" is the certificate issued for the purpose of the notification, and it is not the certificate issued by a "public authority".

Note 2: Submission of Birth Notification/"Shussho-Todoke"

Regardless of a nationality of a baby and/or parents, a birth in Japan should be notified to a Japanese local municipal government office in the form of Birth Notification/"Shussho-Todoke" though there are some exceptions. After the notification is duly accepted by the head of municipal government, formal documents above can be obtained.

Note 3: Shussho vs Shussei

Some people pronounce 'Shussei' instead of 'Shussho'. And, 'Shomei' is the same as 'Shomeisho'. So, Shussei-Shomeisho, Shussho-Shomeisho, Shussho-Shomei and Shussei-Shomei all mean the same.

Inquiry Form

What we can do for you

As a registered Administrative Scrivener

"Gyoseishoshi", literally translated Administrative Scrivener, is a registered specialist in documentation, officially qualified by laws in Japan.

As a registered Administrative Scrivener, we can arrange:
- Legalization
- Notarization
- Translation
for you.


Legalization is the process at Japan MOFA and/or Foreign delegate in Japan before you submit the document in your home country or embassy. We are very pleased to assist you to get your document legalized in Tokyo.


Notarization is the process required before Legalization for a private document such as translation, power of attorney, etc.


We arrange English translation of the original Japanese document such as Family Register, Certificate of Acceptance, etc.


Type of Inquiry
Want to know the cost Want to order the service
Current situation
I am required to submit a document to certify Birth in Japan
** Which document you plan to use **
Document plan to use
Family Register (only for Japanese or ex-Japanese)
Certificate of Acceptance (Birth) / Juri-Shomeisho (Shussho or Shussei)
Certificate of Matters stated in the notification (Birth) / Kisai-Jiko-Shomeisho (Shussho or Shussei)
(Without specifing the document to be used, a quote cannot be created.)
Purpose of use

Country the document finally goes to

Organization the document to be submitted

** What we should do on the document **
Type of Legalization/Notarization
Original in Japanese
Apostille Consul Authentication
Apostille Consul Authentication Notarization
Signature of Translator
(Be sure to confirm what you are required by the organization where the document to be submitted.)
Person who needs Birth Certificate
Date of Birth
Month Year
Nationality at Birth

Nationality at present

Place of Birth

Current Address




(eg: the num of family members recorded in Family Register, etc)
About YOURSELF (if different from above)

Current Address




Please wait for a couple of days for answer. If you do not receive any reply from us within two days, please ask us again.