To obtain Marriage Certificate in Japan and Legalization


How to certify Marriage in Japan

Marriage Certificate in Japan

Marriage Certificate can be translated 'konin-shomeisho' in Japanese. 'konin' means 'marriage', and and 'shomeisho' means 'certificate'.

In Japan, a document entitled Marriage Certificate/'Konin-Shomeisho' can not be issued by a public authority. But a following document may be obtained and used as a document to certify his/her marriage in Japan.

'konin' is a formal word for marriage. In our daily life, 'kekkon' is often used. Therefore, a marriage certificate is also translated into 'kekkon-shomeisho' in Japanese.

Certificate of Acceptance/'Juri-Shomeisho'

Image of Certificate of Acceptance

Juri-Shomeisho, literally translated Certificate of Acceptance, is a formal document to attest a fact that “a Marriage notification was officially accepted by the head of local municipal government pursuant to Japanese laws".

Certificate of Acceptance/'Juri-Shomeisho' can be obtained at a municipal office where you placed a Marriage notification.

*** Important *** Only a person who submitted a marriage notification (=a husband and/or wife in most cases) can apply for and obtain this certificate.

Family Register/'Koseki'

Image of Marriage Certificate in Japan

Japanese "Family Register" is the official file kept at a municipal government office to record events of a person such as Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death, etc.

Certificate of "Family Register"

Certificate of "Family Register", Zembu-Jiko-Shomei or Kojin-Jiko-Shomei, is a formal document to attest his/her Marriage record. Zembu-Jiko-Shomei or Kojin-Jiko-Shomei can be obtained at a local municipal office where his/her domicile is registered.
Note: Certificate of "Family Register" can be issued only for a Japanese national.

Certified copy of "Family Register"

Koseki-Tohon or Koseki-Shohon, literally translated a certified copy of Family Register, is a formal document to attest his/her Marriage record. v can be obtained at a local municipal office where his/her domicile is registered.
Note: Certified copy of Family Register can be issued only for a Japanese national.

Where you can get an original certificate

"Certificate of Acceptance" can be obtained at a municipal office where the Marriage notification was accepted.
A certified copy of "Family Register" can be obtained at a municipal office where a registered domicile (or HONSEKICHI) is registered..

Inquiry Form

What we can do for you

As a registered Administrative Scrivener

"Gyoseishoshi", literally translated Administrative Scrivener, is a registered specialist in documentation, officially qualified by laws in Japan.

As a registered Administrative Scrivener, we can arrange:
- Legalization
- Notarization
- Translation
for you.


Legalization is the process at Japan MOFA and/or Foreign delegate in Japan before you submit the document in your home country or embassy. We are very pleased to assist you to get your document legalized in Tokyo.


Notarization is the process required before Legalization for a private document such as translation, power of attorney, etc.


We arrange English translation of the original Japanese document such as Family Register, Certificate of Acceptance, etc.


Type of Inquiry
Want to know the cost Want to order the service
Current situation
I am required to submit a document to certify marriage in Japan
Document plan to use
Family Register / koseki
Certificate of Acceptance (Marriage) / Juri-Shomeisho
(Without specifing the document to be used, a quote cannot be created.)
Purpose of use

Country the document finally goes to

Organization the document to be submitted

Date of Marriage
Month Year
Name of Husband
Nationality of Husband
Name of Wife
Nationality of Wife
Place of Marriage

Type of Legalization/Notarization
Original in Japanese
Apostille Consul Authentication
Apostille Consul Authentication Notarization
Signature of Translator
(Be sure to confirm what you are required by the organization where the document to be submitted.)
Person(s) who need Marriage Certificate
Current Address




(eg: the num of family recorded in Family Register, etc)
About YOURSELF (if different from above)
Current Address




Please wait for a couple of days for answer. If you do not receive any reply from us within two days, please ask us again.